A new look for windows

I have been staring at the windows in my basement family room for a whole year now. All I keep thinking is how boring they look.  So, after searching through magazines, I have finally found what I've been looking for.  I knew it would mean getting to use a power tool and a saw, and suddenly, I made the idea a reality. 

Here is the unfinished version of what I made. 

And here's how I made it..........

To make this you’ll need to start out with a long piece of MDF wood. Decide how long you want it and how wide. I bought a pre primed piece of MDF wood and had it cut down to 65” x 11”. Measure your window and decide what your measurements will be. I wanted a fairly large cornice so I chose 11 in. for the height but I think anywhere from 5”-12” would look great.

I had two 4” X 11” in. pieces as well to give the valance good depth. We attached these to the main board using L brackets.

Then we attached the crown moulding.  After everything was attached we had to fill in some gaps in between the molding. We used wood putty for filling. That stuff can work miracles I tell ya. Once that was dry we sanded it down one last time. 

I also attached these metal circles, so when I decided to add curtains I could.

We hung it on the wall using more L brackets

 I painted it and caulked it so it looked seemless, and here you have it............
The window is BLAH no more!!

(Don't judge me for not having my curtains ironed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment