Little boy's room

I've been at it again.  Remodeling another room.  This one needed to be done.  Anyone who has little boys can identify with that.  For me, the fall is the perfect time to start indoor projects........let's be honest here, it doesn't matter what time of year it is, I have always got a project.  But, none-the-less, fall is a good time to drag out the old paint cans, sandpaper, and my favorite.....the nail gun! Put all of those together with a little diet pepsi, some good music and a little creativity, and this is the result.





A room any toddler can enjoy and quite honestly, can keep for a long, long time.

This is the before.  Not too bad. Just needed some love and a bit of touch up. However, because I forgot the name of the paint colors I used, I had to start all over and couldn't do just a quick fix.


If you haven't noticed in a home decor magazine or on tv home shows, 2011 is the year of the stripe.  Stripes are everywhere in fashion and now on the walls.  I have loved the look of them for some time now, and finally decided I had the perfect place to try them out.  My boy's room.  So, that's what I did.  3 of the 4 Walls are striped, the other wall, a paneled wainscot. 


To do the stripes, I got some frog tape (first time I have ever used that brand and I LOVE IT!!) and measured out the wall.  I knew I didn't want a whole bunch of small stripes, rather 5 big ones.  So, I had to do a bit of math, divided the wall into 5 equal -or close to- parts and taped them off with the help of my trusty level. I then painted my dark color aka. forest khaki and then let it dry for 24 hrs.  


When it was dry, I took the tape off and had to basically repeat the process (minus the math) to accommodate another color.  So, I spent the day taping again, and then painted the white color aka. natural echo.  

Then, there was the fourth wall.  I painted it out all white ready to begin the real work.
It took quite a bit more math and a lot of eyeballing, but I think we got it right.   I sketched it out on the wall to make sure before I started nailing boards into place.  My aunt is an artist and I have learned a great secret from her....instead of using a pencil to draw out your lines, use chalk.  Pencil doesn't come off so easy, and chalk comes off with little effort.


Once the boards went up, I caulked and spackled the holes left from the nail gun as well as the edges where all the boards met.  I wanted it to look as seamless as possible.


Once the sanding is done, the final coats of paint go on.  And the result.....



A room anyone can enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. That looks sooo cute! Caleb likes the hanging cars! I love the paneled wall and the stripes and the car theme.. love it all, you crafty girl!

    ReplyDelete