A bathroom makeover

My new bathroom.....is pretty crazy.  But I have to admit that I am TOTALLY  in love with how it turned out.  I am not one who likes to do things simply.  When I do something, I want it to be bold and crazy.  I have always heard that your house decor should represent your personality.  That a person should be able to tell what kind of a person you are by the way your house is decorated.  For me, I have to agree.  This to me screams loud, crazy, daring and original- me to a T.
 
 
I started out with my cute black bathroom which I have had this way for years and have loved it.  I have loved the black......and the fact that no one else I knew had a black bathroom made me love it even more.



But as time goes by, the need for change rears it's head......and then the fun begins.

 
I knew I wanted to stick with my main color being black, and I new I wanted something super abstract.....so instantly I thought of a harlequin design.  I looked for wallpaper and couldn't find anything that met the expectations I had envisioned.  So, I had to do it myself. 
 
I went to the Home Depot and purchased a 6" by 6" tile to use as a template for my design. With the use of a level, I was able to sketch out a few diamond shapes

 
and then to make work a bit easier and quicker, used a ruler to continue drawing the lines.

 
After about 3 hours, I was able to sketch out the entire bathroom.  Now begins the longest part of the process.......the taping.

 
I decided to tape up and paint just one wall to make sure that it was what I wanted it to look like before I kept on with the grueling task at hand.  I painted it, took the tape off and found I didn't love it. My lines weren't super straight, and there was paint bleed from my not-so-good tape job. So, I took it upon myself to go to plan B.  Now don't judge me for this.  Just think of it as my creative, cheap mind trying to make it work.
 

I was at Hobby Lobby purchasing my Christmas wrapping paper for the season, and then I saw it and an idea was born.  The exact harlequin pattern I was looking for that I wanted on the wall.  Now I realize wrapping paper and wallpaper are totally different things, but I thought "why not".  And for $7 for a roll of wrapping paper I loved, vs. $82 for a roll of wallpaper I just kind of liked, there was no question in my mind.   Now this particular wrapping paper was a bit heavier duty than most.  So I bought myself 3 rolls and headed to the aisle where I could find super strength spray adhesive, made my purchases and headed home.  
 

 
I sprayed the wall with the adhesive and followed the instructions carefully on the can.  I then cut my wrapping paper and hung it on the wall, until the whole room was covered.  I tried super careful to match up the pattern so it would look as seamless as possible.  To finish it all off, instead of using modge-podge which I used on a similar project before in my master bathroom, I used a polyurethane and lightly painted it over the paper to make it a bit more waterproof.  I don't know if I would recommend this in an area where the walls would be getting wet a lot, but because the majority of my room is covered in a bead board, I felt the paper would be a safe choice. 
 
So that's it.  And with the help of one of the best home consignment stores ever, Consign & Design furniture and home decor in Farmington, Utah, I found a darling mirror and cute rod iron stand that added the fun little touches to this room that I was looking for.

 
As crazy as this may look and sound to most of you out there, I feel like I got what I wanted, spent a total of $65 on the entire project and made it work for me.  It just took a little thinking outside of the box, and a little bit of an adventurous spirit.  

 
But isn't that what being crafty is all about.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh...my...goodness... You are amazing at coming up with ideas! I LOVE that wrapping paper and bought me some in the red and I would NEVER think to put it on my wall but leave it to you... It looks AMAZING! SO CUTE! What will you think of next?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Kelli! Now can you come over to my house???

    ReplyDelete